As a young boy I was a coin scavenger. I'd go to public places and check vending machines and pay phones for loose change. I was finally cured from this habit thanks to someone who cleared their throat and spit in a coin return. (I am 99% sure it was a guy) My index finger found their generous deposit but it was not the treasure I had hoped for. I used to pick up pennies when I'd see them on the ground but with the value of the dollar today, picking up a penny is akin to being a good Samaritan and just picking up litter.
It has also been frustrating to not only see the price of many items going up, but also by the size of food containers getting smaller. Cereal boxes used to be huge when I was little. Now you can fit a box of cereal in your pocket. Everything seems to be approaching fun size. By the way why should shrinking the size of something make it more fun? Anytime you shrink the portion size of my food it makes me sad.
You have probably noticed attention grabbing headlines you find on the home pages of MSN, AOL, or Yahoo. These are usually shallow little stories with teaser titles like "5 reasons she might leave you", "6 steps to lower your insurance premium", or " 8 Not so healthy health foods" In honor of those sort of stories, here is my version of "9 money saving tips that may help you stretch your dollar".
1. Hang out at Costco with a reversible jacket to further your free sampling experience.
2. Charge your electric razor and cell phone at work.
3. Wash your entire car at the gas station with the squeegee.
4. Offer to take lunch orders at work and use buy one get one free coupons for yours.
5. Get a job clearing tables in a restaurant.
6. Wrap presents with aluminum foil.
7. Trade your kid's old toys with the neighbors. One kids junk is another's treasure.
8. Take every new drug that comes out on the market so when the inevitable recalls start you have plenty of companies to sue.
9. Start a blog and make tons of money.
With today's rising prices, troubled economy, and financial challenges, I'm sure you can use these suggestions. Or not. I officially dub this as one of my top five worst posts ever but I'm too busy to try and fix it.