Friday, May 24, 2019

3 Controversial Opinions

It's been a while since I've added content to my blog. Sometimes I just write about random topics but today I'd like to share my thoughts on three important things I'm very passionate about. The first two fall under the category of manners, etiquette, or proper protocol, and the third is a pet peeve.I don't want to sound like an ignorant hick by going against the grain but it's time to stand up for how I really feel so let's get started.

My first concern is with spaghetti. I was taught it is bad manners to cut your spaghetti so you should instead swirl it around your fork. Maybe I've just witnessed too many little kids making a mess of their face and clothes as they slurp up long strands of pasta. I'm a big enough boy to be able to eat the "appropriate" way without making a mess but I don't want to. Since my blog is a big hit in most culinary circles there will undoubtedly be several 5 star chefs reading this and rolling their eyes. They would probably suggest I eat a bowl of spaghettios with a spoon if I don't want to adhere to the appropriate protocol, but I don't care. I'm going to keep cutting my spaghetti.You can have my fork when you pry it from my cold, dead, hands.

You should also know I break the spaghetti in half when I cook it. Yes, I'm aware that this is also taboo but you may have this rebel confused with someone who cares.



The next topic to address is tie tacks. I'll admit I'm a good 30 years behind the times when it comes to fashion trends but this accessory just doesn't feel right. I've known for a long time that when you wear a tie bar, it should attach at the level of the third shirt button. I just think that is way too high. That may look acceptable when you are wearing a jacket but once the jacket comes off, I think it looks imbalanced and awkward. It doesn't even serve it's purpose when it's up so high and your tie will still swing around down below. I own a few tie bars but never wear them since I will probably have some know-it-all come up to me and tell me it's supposed to be worn higher up on the tie than I prefer. As a result, the world is missing out on seeing me sporting stylish tie bars. Your loss.


My final gripe is a pet peeve about something I see regularly on Facebook. I usually see this from women who post a lot. I don't understand why someone posts a link to an article on their page and then say "for later", meaning they have not even read it but it sounds interesting to them. That's like an Instagram user taking pictures of a menu descriptions instead of the food they are eating. Why would you promote something you haven't even read? It was obviously not important enough for you to take the time to read but you share it with others? Do these same people forward e-mails they have not read to their friends after just reading the subject bar?

I'm sorry if I have come across as being  judgmental and uptight. I admit I probably need to chill out. By the way, one of the best ways to blow off steam and relax is by breaking handfuls of spaghetti in half.

1 comment: