Friday, September 24, 2010

Apple Fritters

Fridays are usually a slow day for blogging. I've noticed that most people save their big posts for the beginning or the middle of the week.  I thought today would be a good time to share some brief thoughts about a topic that is dear to me.

I'd like to express my undying love for apple fritters. They are one of the greatest desserts to ever come out of the pastry family. What makes them so special is that they are a hybrid between cinnamon rolls, a donut, and apple pie. I also appreciate the fact that there are small pieces of apple in them so I can attempt to justify that they are healthy. I know this is a lie since every time I eat one, I go into a sugar coma and just sit still and sweat while my ears ring for a few hours.


How can something that looks like a diseased organ recently removed from a person's abdomen taste so good? The only thing that could make them better would be to change the name. I don't like the sound of fritter. I suggest we call them deep fried battered apple pastry instead. That has a much better ring to it.

13 comments:

mCat said...

One of my all time favorites as well.
Mmmmm......guess I know what we'll have for breakfast tomorrow morning!

Eric said...

Dude, I see the face of a wizened old man in your picture.
The nose is dead center vertically and horizontally 40% from the left hand side.
Who could it be?

Everyday Goddess said...

Oh yeah!
Even your allusion to a body organ won't dissuade me from eating one again.

Kristina P. said...

You are killing me here! I can practically taste it.

Tom said...

Eric- I think I can see General Akbar in that Fritter if I squint my eyes.

MikkSolo said...

I want one!

Kelly said...

It's been way too long since I had a decent apple fritter. I think a better name would be apple blob of fun.

Cheeseboy said...

Ha ha! A diseased organ.

I am so hungry right now. That apple fritter looks and sounds freaking amazing.

Pearl said...

Wait -- you thought it would be best to post a PASTRY?! Do you have any idea what time it is over here?! Where am I going to find an open !@#$@!ing bakery?!

Pearl

Lisa Loo said...

Amen!!!

tammy said...

Crap. Now I gotta make a donut run.

peewee said...

Have you had the apple fritters from Banbury cross? Go. run.

Beckalita said...

I'm so relieved that's an apple ... thingy!