Sunday, September 5, 2010

Mean People Suck

I was recently reading the local news online and made the mistake of clicking on the comments of other readers after I read the story. I should know better, but my curiosity gets me sucked in and I occasionally read the comments.  It doesn't take long before it turns into a mob mentality of rude people arguing and calling each other names. I'm amazed at how many people love being a troll and getting others riled up. I wonder if those same people would act the same way if their true identity was known. 

These people remind me of terrorists who make threats and strut their stuff while wearing a ski mask. I see a similar trend with comments on YouTube. You can look up something as innocent as gardening tips and within 4 or 5 comments, you have people dropping F bombs on each other and arguing. It shocks me to see how much hate and disrespect people have bottled up inside.

It made me really grateful for my blog. I try not to be too opinionated or to make waves. I intentionally avoid controversial subjects in an effort to maintain a sense of civility and to make Chaka's World a friendly place. Occasionally I may still offend someone like the death metal enthusiast, but overall it works out okay. 

Anyway, I'd like to thank my readers for having manners and civility. Even when they do disagree, they've done so in a respectful way unlike many mean people on the Internet these days.

10 comments:

Kristina P. said...

Ugh, KSL comments are ridiculous. I don't know why I even bother to read any of them, anymore.

I just got a "mean" anonymous comment on my blog the other day. I put mean in quotation marks, because it actually made me laugh.

ISRAEL CARRASCO said...

Chaka I agree. It's the anonymity that makes people brave. I'm old school. If you have an issue with someone face the person one on one.

Tom said...

Kristina- You guessed it. I was reading KSL online when I made the dumb decision to get read the comments. Any subject quickly turns to religion, politics, school rivalries, and parenting criticisms.

mCat said...

LOL only because when I first started reading your post I immediately thought of KSL and the comments I was reading there on Thursday! And I bet a lot of these people are the ones who appear so pious on Sunday's in their local congregations.

I like Chaka's world and it's arguing free zone : )

Cheeseboy said...

Chaka, you are so right on. Can't stand KSL, desnews and sltrib comments. The bad cream really rises to the top in those forums.

Jeanne Estridge said...

I've always believed that if God intended for us to know other people's thoughts, he would have installed a stock ticker on our foreheads that kept a running commentary on what was going on inside our heads. He, in His infinite wisdom, chose not to do that.

Let's roll with that, shall we?

Carmy said...

the worst is on YouTube when the poor beauty guru girls try doing tutorials and they get the most rude and disrespectful comments. It's pretty sad.

Kelly said...

Mean people do suck. Was that mean to say that? I don't think so. Way to CTR Chaka.

MikkSolo said...

Agree!

Tom said...

This made me laugh- I just found out today that KSL shut down their comment boards since it was getting so bad. Where are all the angry trolls going to go now to vent their hate?