I try not to publish the same posts on my different blogs, but I recently did a post on The Movie Guy about Star Wars and since I only have 7 people who read that blog, I thought I'd get more input by posting it to Chaka's World. I don't consider myself a Star Wars geek, but like most Americans, I'm familiar with the characters in the series that George Lucas has made household names. I'd like to share my thoughts on some of them.
5. Chewbacca- The name, the fur, the crossbow, the wookie yell. What's not to like?
4. The Imperial Guard- Despite being bad guys and having a very minimal roles, these elite red storm troopers are some of the coolest and most mysterious characters.
3. The Darths- This includes Sideous, Vader, and Maul. If your first name is Darth, then you can probably expect a career with the dark side of the force.
2. Boba Fett- This bounty hunter is a stud. I would have liked to have seen more of him.
1. Obi Wan Kenobi- I like both the original Alec Guiness and also the younger Ewen McGregor version. I think it is probably has something to do from the inflections of his voice. My all time favorite Star Wars line is "These are not the droids you are looking for". Using Jedi mind tricks has gotten me out of traffic tickets, speaking in church, and jury duty.
Han Solo- I am a big Harrison Ford Fan, but the tough rebellious guy who pretends not to care act gets old after a while.
Yoda- I know he teaches some great wisdom like "Do or do not, there is no try", but he is also guilty of being a Muppet and saying things like "Good Relations I have with the Wookies."
5. Queen Amidala- R2D2 expresses more feelings than her. She is emotionless, sad, and depressing.
4. Battle Droids- These guys are absolutely worthless. They are about as threatening as a slinky and all they do is get sliced to pieces by light sabers. The coolest thing they do is come out of storage.
3. Ewoks-I didn't go to the theater to see jungle Care Bears in space!
2. The blue elephant, and long lipped singer who perform at Jaba's lair. Why throw in such dumb puppets that detract from the coolness of the movie?
1. Jar Jar Binks- No surprise here. I never would have thought that another Star Wars character could make C3PO look cool.
Any characters you like or dislike that I may hve missed? Opening this up to discussion is kind of like my version of a book group discussion. It may not be Shakespeare, Austen,or Steinbeck, but at least I can follow the story line and the special effects are way better too.