Thursday, February 16, 2012

The Song Title Game

I was talking with some friends recently about games and several of them mentioned how much they dislike Risk, Monopoly, Settlers of Catan, Trivial Pursuit, and other games that are complicated or take forever to play. I am not a big fan of board games or ones with lots of rules or little pieces. I prefer simple spontaneous games where everyone participates like Pictionary.

Anyway, thinking about games reminded me how sometimes things happen to me and I feel like summarizing the situation or my feelings by comparing them to a song title or lyrics. I call this the song title game. I guess it's not really a game, but here are some examples.

Whenever I put my foot in my mouth or or make a stupid mistake I think about the song "If I could turn back time" by Cher.

When my wife tells me to not do something I wasn't going to do anyway and she doesn't realize I was just joking, I feel like singing "If you don't know me by now" by Simply Red.

When I log onto Facebook and they have changed their menu or layout yet AGAIN, I imagine David Bowie singing "ch ch ch ch Changes..."

Sometimes a person might be beating me at a board game and they begin to gloat and sing "We are the champions",  and at that point I hit them with a large blunt object and sing "Another one bites the dust", both by Queen.

When someone does a practical joke and it gives me a scare, the song "Quit playing games with my heart" comes to mind by the Backstreet Boys or Boys 2 Men or whoever was responsible for that.

Anyway, you probably get the picture. Are there any songs lyrics that frequently pop into your head as a result of every day life experiences? I welcome any comments on the topic. I've noticed that commenting is not as popular as it used to be, but it  is still in style and the coolest people still do it.

3 comments:

The Armchair Squid said...

Unfortunately, I am cursed by advertising jingles, particularly those of local commercials in the '70s. They visit and linger with little provocation. I get pleasant songs occasionally, too. But it is the jingles that haunt me.

Raine said...

That is really funny. when something happens in life i always refer to a spongebob episode. I usually try to explain it to the other person but they usually just look at me strangely.

Raine said...

That is really funny. when something happens in life i always refer to a spongebob episode. I usually try to explain it to the other person but they usually just look at me strangely.