Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Why I am not running for President

Maybe I'm just not very observant, but in the past I recall presidential candidates would start to campaign and hold debates the year of the election, but it seems they have been campaigning non stop for the last two years. I think having multiple debates can be a good thing to help us get to know the candidates, but why can't we just do it like March Madness and by the end of one month get down to the final winner? This drawn out process is driving my crazy.

I meet the criteria to be President of the United States since I am over 35 years old and was born in the U.S., but aside from these two things, I have no qualifications whatsoever. Even if I wanted to be the president, I would not dare undergo the two year process of having the media and my opponents dissect my life under a microscope.

Even the squeakiest clean candidate is at risk of having skeletons come out of their closet. I'm afraid I don't have thick enough skin for the scrutiny they have to endure.They would not uncover any extramarital affairs or that I had made any obscene amounts of money for consulting or giving speeches, but once they came across this blog, I'd lose all credibility.

Why can't the election process be like the Summer Olympics? Unless your city is hosting the Olympics, things stay quiet for 3 years and 11 months and then for one month we get immersed in them and have a good time. Then we have the closing ceremonies and everyone goes home happy for another 4 years.

I've heard that doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results is the definition of insanity. I think it is also the definition of voting. I actually think everyone should vote, even if it feels like you won't make any difference. At least voting makes you qualified to complain about things. Nobody wants to hear someone who didn't vote complain about the leaders they have.

When it comes to politics, if you are liberal, conservative, middle of the road, or extremist, I think one thing we can all agree on is that this is going to get old before November rolls around.

3 comments:

Kristina P. said...

It makes me crazy how soon everything starts. That's why I'm voting for The Hoff.

Lisa said...

There is a different voice in this year's election that takes time to reach and to understand and that is the voice of Ron Paul.

Crystal Pistol said...

I'm praying for Romney. I want to see a Mormon in office. plus he knows how to make money and keep it. We could use that in this country.