Saturday, May 16, 2009

Food, Glorious Food

I'd like to focus on a positive topic today. It's time to honor some proven foods that have brought joy to my life and comforted me when times got hard. One of the great things about blogs is that there are so many of them dedicated entirely to food and recipes. I love these blogs but I have to confess I don't always read them. Many times I just look at the pictures and make noises like Homer Simpson.

I grew up in a large family where I learned to fight for food and even hoard it. To this day I am ashamed to admit that when I see dessert come in my house I immediately eat it no matter how hungry I am and I will often hide some for later on. I'm not proud of my unhealthy eating habits but they are actually better than they used to be. The following list is not complete but here are some of my favorite simple foods I am grateful for.

Sunflower seeds-So simple yet so powerful. I prefer them salted and unshelled. Half of the experience of eating sunflower seeds is cracking them open and eating them as fast as a parrot on speed.
Mandarin oranges-I love them in salads, jello, or just plain. They taste great and are so cute.
Black Olives-As long as they are black and pitted you can't go wrong.
Cashews-The ultimate nut. What a perfect texture and taste. They compliment many foods.
Deviled Eggs-I can never get enough of them. I could eat trays at a time ala Cool Hand Luke and still not get full.
Mashed Potatoes and Gravy-One of the greatest combos of all time and my favorite food. Just make sure you add plenty of sour cream, butter, milk, salt and white pepper to the potatoes.
Egg Nog-I love egg nog and don't mind diluting it with milk or sprite. This is one of those smooth foods where you can drink half a gallon before you realize what has happened.
Pizza-It's hard to go wrong with Pizza. There are so many styles and varieties that it's hard to find someone who doesn't love it. All of the other foods secretly wish they were pizza.

Some of my followers have cool food blogs. Mary's blog is called One Perfect Bite. The photos of the food she makes are amazing. Each time she posts a recipe I salivate like Pavlov's dog. Bliss has several blogs. One of her food blogs is called Chef Bliss. Abby is a trainer who's blog I've been following for a while. It's called Eat, Drink and Be Aware She usually features really healthy food which is nice since I don't feel guilty when I crave it.


I'm grateful for a variety of foods that "please the eye and gladden the heart". If you know of some other good food blogs feel free to list them in the comments. I'm always up to the challenge of checking out good food.

8 comments:

Kristina P. said...

I love all of the food you mentioned. My mom is a big sunflower eater.

And eggnog is completely delicious.

Dr Zibbs said...

Love all that stuff. Except for the seeds and oranges which are just OK in my book.

Mary Bergfeld said...

Thank you so much for the shout-out. It is really appreciated.

Eric said...

Chaka, I agree completely about pizza and sunflower seeds. Egg nog though I can't stand because of an overdose when 5 yrs old...

MikkSolo said...

I loved the D&C reference.

PS The anonymous"Sock Nazi" was Richard from work.

starbender said...

My favorite food has got to be Ice Cream! Luv It!! I call it 'the Food of the Gods'

peewee said...

thepioneerwoman.com YUM!

Oh, and remember those deviled egg trays!?!? I so want one.

yummmmm. Deviled eggggssss.

Dawn Parsons Smith said...

I am with you on all the above mentioned comfort foods (except mandarin oranges...not a huge fan of the mandarin orange...)

Pizza....you can never go wrong with a pizza....ahhhhh.....