Monday, April 13, 2009

My Haiku Contest

Whoever came up with the concept of the haiku was either lazy, or had a great sense of humor. For those of you who are not familiar with them, a haiku is a form of Japanese poetry that uses 3 lines. The first line has 5 syllables, the second has 7, and the last has 5. I think the ideal job would be making up haikus all day long. Here is an example.

What is spam made of?
That meat is an enigma.
I think I'll pass thanks.

I imagine most of you have always wanted to enter a haiku contest but just couldn't afford the hefty down payment for your entry fee. Well I have some great news for you. I'm having a haiku contest and it's free! I've noticed that many blogs give stuff away as part of their contests, so as part of my efforts to get with the times I will be giving away a 2009 Hyundai Sonata to the winner. Not really, but that reminded me of another haiku.

Hyundai Sonata
I do not even own one
There's really no prize

I will actually be giving away something even more valuable than material goods-recognition. I will sing the winner praises and write about them on a future post. The rules are simple, just follow the standard formula explained above and reference the subject matter to any topic you have ever seen on my blog. This is not the kind of thing I would delegate to random selection software so I will personally be selecting the winner. The contest ends on Saturday so go ahead and post your 17 syllable comments before then.

20 comments:

Kristina P. said...

My blanket with sleeves
Oh how much joy you give me
My life is complete

Kelly said...

There's a power there
That knows how you are feeling
Could it be Adsense?

(Reference to your post called Power of Adsense)

http://chaka4612.blogspot.com/2009/01/power-of-adsense.html

My favorite Haiku is not one I wrote but it goes like this...

Shiny silver dime
I will never let you go....
Oh! I see ice cream!

Girl Interrupted said...

What a cool idea, Chaka!

Try not to panic
When chiropractors attack
Screaming makes it worse

craig gardner said...

Green slime on the road
making the people vomit.
Now there's more green slime.

-- Scott Gardner

craig gardner said...

My toes are frozen.
I wear my lederhosen.
Lost half a dozen.

-- Scott Gardner

dwrichy said...

Camping in the snow
With the scouts on a klondike
Sounds like hell to me.

Video Zeta One said...

Oh Doctor Bombay
Make Larry Tate go away
Darrin needs a break

Video Zeta One said...

I'm disqualified - not about content on your blog, sorry, but I couldn't think of anything, and this Bewitched haiku just kinda rolled out.

susette said...

Spring Break Vacation
How I long to head South
You wish you were going

Tom said...

These are looking good. Gilligan-I'm flexible. I have commented about Elizabeth Montgomery on your blog before so that works.

Eric said...

Chaka is blogging,
Followers are now laughing,
Isn't this all great?

Cheree said...

Part 1
Why do we invite
Tom and Becky to our home?
To make us feel cool.

Part 2
It makes us smile
When they say how smart we are
What? We haiku too!

Part 3
They say they want to
Invite fat people over
Do fatties haiku?

Verdant Earl said...

Sitting on my ass
Waiting for inspiration
Nope, I got nada

(Have to go re-read the content of your blog for some of dat inspiration)

Maui said...

How do you count syllables?
Don't look at me I flunked English
You suck at Haikus

Mary said...

Reading Chaka's World
Always makes me laugh out loud
Thank You, Big Brother.

I think I will call it "The Brown-Noser" and the reference is to your post "The Benefits of Following My Blog"

Cowguy said...

Chaka... I never understood Haiku. It's probably the Missouri hillbilly genes coursing thru my veins.

As close as I'll ever get...

I kilt a possum ded
ugly critter that he be
possum meatloaf sucks


*Mary Lou Retton all done pose!*

Atzimba said...

Part 1

Lava lava lav,
Oh you are the fav, my lav,
Fall down from above!


Part 2

Could not do haiku;
Had to make my husband do;
Gonna beat all you!

Anonymous said...

Friends keep telling me
I need to be on facebook
Sorry-- not for me.

Kyra

Lisa Loo said...

Chaka loves cashews
Involuntary egging
Is not so much-ew.

WHo knew
I could haiku
Bless you!

The Mauermans said...

I couldn't come up with a haiku- could you do a contest with limericks instead?

There once was a man from the city
who thought his girl was pretty
until someone said
"hey isn't she dead?"
and he said "yes she is, it's a pity."