Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Things I Struggle With

I am humble enough to admit that I have weaknesses. In fact I'm actually proud of how bad I am at some things. Where to start? Here are three areas where I admit I am completely incompetent. These topics are often a source of great frustration for me.

1. Higher math- I'm actually great at doing math in my head. If it's basic math I feel confident with my abilities and would even challenge Rain Man to a duel, but once you throw letters or fractions into the equation, I can no longer relate. When I got to Jr. High and they started doing algebra and calculus, math became very intimidating and I always felt confused by it. Luckily, I have not had the need to do "tricky math" since high school.

2. Science- When people start talking in depth about science, my mind closes faster than the automatic doors on the Star Trek Enterprise. I like to have things simplified not complicated. I can appreciate scientific principles and I like large things like the sun and the planets but I hate it when people take things the opposite direction. I don't like microscopic stuff like electrons, atoms, the Krebs cycle, chemical equations, etc. I'm content with folklore and superstition to explain eclipses and bad weather because it's so much easier.

3. Mechanical Repairs- I'm good at yard work, painting, and cleaning, but if a home repair involves electrical, plumbing, or moving parts, then I'm screwed. The same thing goes for automobile repairs. I can not believe how many things are broken at my house right now. Some include the garage door opener, dishwasher, disposal, broken faucets, furnace fan, leaky sprinkler valve, broken blinds, and a dryer that takes several hours to dry a load of laundry. I guess all of these problems can be solved with money... which reminds me of another frustrating topic.

Recently I have been talking with my 16 year old who is a life scout. He finished all of his merit badges needs to get his Eagle nearly 3 years. All he has left is the Eagle project and the paperwork and the details behind it are killing him. I've been critical of his lack of enthusiasm until recently when I realized he is going through the same thing in his mind that I do when it comes to an appliances breaking and home repairs. What might be a simple task for one person, is another man's mental Everest.

4 comments:

Kristina P. said...

My husband isn't the greatest at car/house repairs. He knows minimal things, but they usually involve lots of cussing.

Kal said...

I always was told that they are people who are good at electronics and car repair and that by doing it myself will not same any money and will probably cost more.

I hate spacial relation problems. When they give you tests where they ask you to pick out what object these peices will contruct I am totally lost. I would be no use on survivor with their puzzles.

I am the guy with the super mind for facts - the mundane or bizzare or usefully essoteric the better. I am a big idea thinker.

Sylvia Ney said...

Too true. I loved biology actually, but once they threw Chemistry at me, my brain shut down. Same with Math - I tutored others in Algebra, but as soon as I reached Geometry...another brick wall. Maybe I have a problem with symbols. Hmmm...never thought about that before. Anyway, I'm also participating in the "A to Z" challenge and I look forward to reading more from you. Good luck!

Cheeseboy said...

Funny! I have the EXACT same weaknesses. Especially the math. I tutor at Sylvan and sometimes they try and get me to tutor the advanced math. The kids might as well tutor me.