Tuesday, June 21, 2011

The Infamous Ice Cream Truck

For some reason, I don't ever remember seeing or hearing ice cream trucks come through my neighborhood when I was a kid. Maybe I just wasn't paying attention or perhaps they were driven by ninjas. Anyway, I am a little biased towards mobile ice cream vendors, mostly because of the price. It's kind of like if 7-11 had a truck driving around offering milk and bread for $5 each.

I can't really blame the ice cream vendors for charging so much for their treats. Many of these vehicles look like armored cars and spend all day driving around neighborhoods so I can only imagine their gas expense they must have to compensate for.

The other day I heard the ice cream jingle coming down our street. My 6 year old ran and grabbed a bottle of coins he had been saving. His older brother stopped him and asked what he was doing. He said "Are you seriously going to go to the ice cream truck?" He was shocked and I could hear the panic in his voice. I thought I had taught him well about frugality and how you can buy a whole bag of popsicles at the store for the same price of a premium ice cream truck treat.

I was then surprised to hear the older brother say in a sincere and concerned voice " You can't go out there or they will kidnap you!" I guess some of my kids have seen Chitty Chitty Bang Bang too many times. I re-assured both of my boys that they would not get kidnapped, but I didn't want them spending their money on expensive ice cream.

I still think that there is something creepy about the ice cream truck and the only thing that could make it worse would be if a clown were driving it.

6 comments:

Kristina P. said...

I live for the ice cream truck coming by. It never comes here because I live in a condo complex. I need Pink Panther pops with gumball eyes!

Eric said...

I reckon that I'd still run after a 'whiskey truck', even if a clown was driving it.

mCat said...

I grew up with the ice cream truck toodling around our circle in the trailer park and it was always some creepy guy. I have never let my kids even close enough to approach the ice cream truck. I'm a freak like that

Cheeseboy said...

2 things: I HATED Chitty Chitty. It scared the crap out of me. 2. We keep our kid's favorite ice cream in the freezer for when the ice cream man comes around. Saves a ton of money and hassle.

Shannon Lawrence said...

The ice cream truck gives me the heebie jeebies. Seems like a perfect job for a pedophile. Is it the Burbs where they tell a horror story about an ice cream man? I have no idea how they make enough on ice cream to pay for the gas to drive around all day every day. We keep popsicles and ice cream in the freezer so the kids don't ask, shew!

Tina @ Life is Good
and I are joining forces in another challenge. We're going to visit and comment at each of the participants, starting with the reflections post. We hope you'll join us!

Shannon @ The Warrior Muse

Anonymous said...

Sports are also cheaper on TV... it's about the experience.