Sunday, July 24, 2011

Why I Don't Like Twitter

I don't like Twitter. I will be the first to admit that this is because I still don't understand it. Writing this post makes me feel kind of like I did when I took a test in high school on the book "How Green Was My Valley" after reading only the first few pages. My teacher later made some comments on my test correcting the gender and pronouns I had used in my answers. That was embarrassing, but they had weird names in that book. How was I supposed to know which ones were men women without reading it?

It is in that same spirit of ignorance that I share my feelings about Twitter with you. I know it has been around for years now, but I hate change. I have had many people tell me how important Twitter is and that I should be on it, but I dislike it for the following reasons.

1. It's just too trendy. I'm afraid I'd not hip enough for it yet.
2. You are limited to140 characters, although I admit this could be a good thing at times.
3. Your mini posts are called "Tweets". I will never say or type that word again. I'm an adult...sort of.
4. People only seem to care about your Twitter input if you are a celebrity.
5. I already feel awkward trying to get people to follow my blogs, so trying to get Twitter followers would only make me feel even more desperate and insecure.
6. I still really don't what it is or how it works. Do you have to do Twitter updates from a smart phone or can you use a computer? Is it like mobile blogging?

Besides the six reasons listed above, I just have too many other pressing concerns to deal with before I can worry about Twitter. I'm still trying to figure out what the Internet is. Seriously, I have never seen a picture of it and don't understand how it works, but since it provides me with Youtube videos and blogging, I will not bad mouth it.

4 comments:

Kristina P. said...

I literally could have written this post. I stay away. I am online enough already.

Jeanne Estridge said...

I'm not concise enough for Twitter. One of my daughter's friends would be perfect--she posts these little, Oscar-Wilde-like epigrams on Facebook all the time. Recent examples:

Life is too short to remove the USB drive safely.

Yesterday I think the thermostat in my car was laughing at me. "lol" Or it really was 101 degrees outside.


If I were that witty, I'd be all over Twitter....

Mom of 12 said...

My daughter set up a twitter account for me. I must confess that I have never used it. I guess it drums up more readers...I don't know. That's her department. I just like the writing part.
Sandy

Cheeseboy said...

I like Twitter a lot. It allows me to share my stupid jokes with a very wide and diverse audience that I can't reach on Facebook or my blog.

However, I hate Twitter too because people are SO VERY CRUDE on it and the language is off the hook horrible.

People on Twitter constantly make fun of Facebook too. They are too good for it they think. I like Facebook more than Twitter, so I get ticked at these Twitter snobs often.