Sunday, August 21, 2011

Chaka's Chakras

The concept of energy meridians and chakras in the human body is something I find very interesting. Over the years I have become much more open minded to eastern medicine and alternative medical practices. There is quite a range of practices when it comes to Eastern medicine. On one side of the spectrum there are simple things like massage therapy and essential oils. As you move towards the other end there are practices like energy work, acupuncture, and even full blown witch doctors.

Some people only trust western medicine. Most of us think of x-rays, prescriptions, and surgery when it comes to health care. I will be the first to admit that eastern medicine can be an easy breeding ground for charlatans, but I also think our traditional health care system is frequently guilty of merely treating systems and over medicating people as opposed to focusing on prevention and creating harmony with mind, body, and spirit. (That last part made me sound like a hippy.)

The concept of Chakras is popular in Hinduism and Buddhism and teaches that there are 7 primary energy centers in the body. Each of these centers has an affect on various parts of the body. When these energy centers become blocked, then disease may develop. It's actually more complicated than that, but since I am still writing on a high school level that's the best explanation you will get from me.

I have no doubt that our bodies are composed of energy and everything we interact with is a form of energy, but I wonder how accurate the Chakra energy system is and if there are better systems to explain the intricate interactions of energy in our bodies.

I don't consider myself a new age, mystical kind of guy, but I find the concept of tracking and improving the energy flow of our bodies to be very interesting. I have a lot of questions and concerns about these systems, but if I end up figuring out how this works, then I may have to change the name of my blog to Chakras World.

5 comments:

Jess said...

Wow that's so cool! I've recently become very interested in Buddhism and have read a lot about keeping your mind and body in balance. I think it's so amazing how it all works!
Awesome post!

Kristina P. said...

I'm one of those skeptics, I guess. But I'm also rather ignorant about Eastern medicine.

mCat said...

Catching up on all my behind reading...
first - I totally agree on the movie credits right after the movie stars. didn't realize how much that bugged until you said something

Years ago I worked for a doctor that we very new age for the time and embraces a lot of the eastern medicine philosophies. People either really loved him or hated him. There was no middle ground. Some of the things he did made sense and others seems whack - but once my compay opted not to renew his contract, I lost my change to learn first hand much more about it

Raine said...

That is funny because often I say in my head Chakra instead of Chaka :) I tried and tried to believe in it, but I just dont. I put in an honest effort though

Anonymous said...

Heya i'm for the primary time here. I found this board and I to find It truly helpful & it helped me out a lot. I'm hоρіng
tо ρreѕеnt sοmething baсk and аіԁ othеrѕ such
as yоu aіded me.
Also see my site - Auspicious Times