Wednesday, October 14, 2009

The Worst Night's Sleep Ever

I have been quite sick this past week and it reminded me of an experience I had last year. I know people don't like hearing stories about how miserable or sick someone was, BUT... Please indulge me for a moment while I tell you about an experience I had last winter. It was the worst night's sleep I've ever had and surprisingly it didn't involve a camp out.

I am usually a pretty healthy person. Over the past few years I have only missed a few days of work due to being sick. Last winter I was under a lot of stress and wasn't feeling so good, but I still went into work. By the end of the day I was dizzy with chills and my whole body hurt. I went home exhausted, took some medicine, and crawled into bed. I rocked back and forth while whimpering like a baby until the medicine finally kicked in and I fell asleep.

I woke up several hours later to the words that strike fear into my soul "Water is leaking into the basement". It was 10:00 pm and I was not in any condition to deal with that. I ran down stairs and saw that the basement window had turned into a fish tank from all of the melting snow and run off outside. We also had a drain pipe from the roof that wasn't draining properly which compounded the problem. I bailed the window out, but there was thick ice all over the back porch that was melting from the heavy rain which continued to drain into the window well.

I bailed out the window well and rang out wet cold towels in the freezing rain. To make a long story short (too late), I ended up getting up on the hour every hour from 10 pm until 7 am to repeat this process. After each ten minute clean up, I'd crawl back into bed wet and tired until the alarm went off again the next hour. It was one of those times when you can't believe what is happening and you start talking to yourself loudly like a crazy person.

That was obviously not the rest and relaxation the doctor ordered, but I eventually got over it. I still haven't fixed the broken run off pipe so if I ever tell this story again then it will be my fault and I won't expect any sympathy but rather rude comments and heckling.

1 comment:

Kristina P. said...

Any opportunity to mock someone is a great opportunity to me, so I hope this happens to you again.