Tuesday, December 22, 2009

The Power of Concentration

As we approach the final days before Christmas, my thoughts are naturally drawn towards today's topic- the power of concentration. I have mixed feelings about stuff that is concentrated. This is especially true when I hear people boasting about how concentrated a particular substance may be. Sometimes I hear things like "one drop of nerve gas is powerful enough to kill 1,000 people" I have also heard similar reports how a certain quantity of cobra venom could kill x amount of rodents. That may be true, but I'm inclined to think some of these claims may be exaggerated.

Speaking of poisonous substances, when I was little we used to have a gallon container of "passion punch". You would mix a teaspoon full of the syrup into a glass of water and it would turn into a koolaid-like substance. I have always been amazed how it never ran out during my entire childhood. I just now realized it was not so much because it was so concentrated, but rather because the taste kept us from ever coming back for more unless we got really desperate. There are also positive examples of concentrated substances like frozen orange juice concentrate, vanilla extract, cleaners, and laundry detergent.

I appreciate the whole concentration concept and think it makes sense and is good for the environment, but I'm still a little skeptical about some product claims. Does the concentrated laundry detergent really go as far as it claims to? Is the nerve gas really as lethal as people claim it is? I guess I will never know. These are some of the mysteries of life that I may go down to my grave never solving. One of the reasons I try to live a good life is so when I die I can have access to the heaven library and get answers to all of my questions. Things like who killed JFK, UFO cover ups, conspiracy theories, and finding out who dropped off anonymous Christmas treats and gifts and our house.

PS- When I make frozen orange juice, it says to mix it with 3 cans of water. I like to add 3 and a half, because I still think it has plenty of flavor that way. If there are a line of thirsty kids waiting for me to make it, I will sometimes even bump it up to 4 to make it last longer. Please don't tell.

6 comments:

Kristina P. said...

Why don't you test out the nerve gas concentration theory and get back to us?

Raine said...

I so do that. Expecially with grape juice. 3 cans?? No way. 4 at least!

Lisa said...

Anonymous treats and gifts! It must be Santa and you must have been good all year.

i wonder what causes you to think of concentration. Do you also think of how virgin an extra virgin is?

Jeanne Estridge said...

Still chuckling at Ocean Girl's comment.

Merry Christmas!

Beckalita said...

So you're saying frozen juice is actually MORE concentrated than they suggest? Sounds like the juice companies need to beef up their claims a bit.

Eric said...

I've had some desserts containing more butter than an equal volume of butter itself. Mmmmm rich creamy concentrated butter...